7 Amazing Salad Dressing Recipes
Salads are known for their numerous health benefits. Not only are they ideal for weight loss but also protect your heart from cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, you get a healthy supply of fiber and strong bone development.
Greens may not be everybody’s favorite. This is why adding a healthy salad dressing makes it tastier.
Since salads are great for a weight loss program, having a low-fat salad dressing is very beneficial. It adds flavor to the salad by enhancing the taste and adding more nutrition to the dish.
You can make these dressings at the comfort of your home with readily available ingredients.
So here are 7 ideas for homemade dressing recipes…
Dressing #1: Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
This is one of the simplest dressings to make. It is packed with flavor and requires the most basic ingredients to make.
For this simple salad dressing recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbs of honey (preferably organic)
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbs French Mustard
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 6 tbs of sunflower oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- In a food processor, mix the mustard, honey, garlic, and balsamic vinegar. Slowly add the oil in the processor.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
If you do not have a processor, simply put all the ingredients in a bottle/jar and shake until well mixed.
And your dressing is ready!
You can drizzle it on a chicken salad and even use as a marinade for meat.
Dressing #2: Strawberry Vinegar Salad Dressing
For the strawberry vinegar salad dressing recipe, you will only need 3 ingredients:
- 4 cups of fresh halved strawberries
- 4 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup of sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries and the Apple Cider Vinegar. Leave for one hour and transfer to a cooking pot.
- Add in the sugar, stir and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat. Allow to cool completely.
iii. Strain the mixture and transfer the dressing into tightly sealed jars.
This low-calorie salad dressing works perfectly on a number of salads especially the spinach and feta salad.
Dressing #3: Greek Yoghurt Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Greek yogurt is known for immense health benefits such as protein, B12, and probiotics.
This healthy salad dressing is creamy, delicious and tangy. If you are looking for a light salad dressing, you can use low-fat Greek yogurt.
This is the best salad dressing recipe for steak salad or dipping hot chicken wings.
- ½ cup of Greek Yoghurt (low fat)
- 2 tbs of buttermilk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove of garlic/garlic paste
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- ½ cup shredded/crumbled blue cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Alternatively, place them in a jar and shake until well combined.
- Refrigerate the dressing 2 hours before serving to allow the mixture to redistribute evenly.
- Always shake before serving to re-distribute the flavors.
Dressing #4: Lemon Vinaigrette
This dressing is definitely for you if you like some acidity in your salads. It goes well on any vegan or meat salad recipe and is also a good marinate for chicken and meat.
Vinaigrette dressings enhance the flavor of ingredients, increase versatility and are very simple to prepare.
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs salt
- 4tbs of lemon juice
- 3 tbs of lemon zest
- ¼ black pepper
- 1 tbs minced dried or fresh oregano
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or a tight jar.
- Refrigerate and allow the flavors to blend for at least 2 hours before serving.
Dressing #5: Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
This is the most popular and best salad dressing recipe ever. It is a staple for almost every salad, is easy to make and tastes delicious!
Not only is light salad dressing used on vegetable salads, but it is also a great marinade for meat.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend
Dressing #6: Homemade Italian Dressing
Italian dressing is gluten and dairy free. It is easy to make and like the other dressings above, only needs a good shake!
You can use red or white wine to enhance the flavor. This healthy salad dressing can also be used as a marinade for chicken dishes.
- ½ cup of white or red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tbs onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a tightly sealed jar and shake until well mixed.
- Refrigerate and allow the flavors to blend and infuse for 2 hours
- Before serving, shake once more.
You can use the Italian salad dressing on an iceberg salad.
Dressing #7: Avocado Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
This is by far the healthiest salad dressing you’ll ever make! It is a creamy dressing packed with wholesome nutrition and fiber. With this dressing, you also get a good dose of Vitamin K, antioxidants and healthy fats.
With a preparation time of only 5 minutes, here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 well-ripened avocado
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a food processor, combine the avocado, wine, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually add the olive oil until you attain a silky and creamy consistency.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve when needed.
The avocado vinaigrette is the best salad dressing for barbeque chicken and vegetable salads.